Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Science Center Fun

I learned a few things in class tonight; 1...I really want a square garden! Seeing how pretty they are and then thinking about the possibility of being self-sustainable (at least for a season) sounds super fun to me! 2...I use a lot of water! For someone who loves the Earth's most natural resource the way I do, you'd think I would do a better job at trying to conserve it.  I am painfully guilty of taking long showers, flushing the toilet all the time because I pee 15,000 times a day, washing the dishes in the sink with the water running the whole time, washing several loads of laundry in my very inefficient washing machine, and a whole host of other things I'm sure that are causing harm to the environment!

I am now on a new quest to not only be more self sufficient, but also to do my part in reducing my WATER footprint! I will shorten my showers, eat meat free when possible, grow what I can and use recycled water in my garden.  I love water, not just for the life it provides us (and EVERYTHING!!) but for the beauty it creates! Take a look at the pictures below (which I found on Pinterest by searching cool water formations)...these were caused by water! It is truly amazing, and I know that if we all do a little, a lot will get done!

Salto del Laja Falls, Chile


The Grand Canyon

Jacob's Well, TX

Angel Falls, Venezuela


Pamukkale, Turkey Natural hot springs 
Continental Divide, Glacier National Park, Montana

Pink Lake Hillier of Australia

8 comments:

  1. Who knew there was a pink lake? Crazy. The thoughts about water struck me, too. I wondered, as I drew hot water this morning, what I could do with the cold water that preceded the hot, instead of watching it go down the drain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting...I should probably collect that water and recycle it. I've never thought about it, but it is wasteful and probably adds up to be a lot!

      Delete
  2. Shelley, start by reading Mel Bartholomew's book on Square Foot Gardening. He's even got a video. The vertical gardens are the best- they provide grub and privacy! You can also visit http://www.squarefootgardening.com!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Um...so I have already talked to my friend who has a yard and this square garden is going up soon! Thanks for the helpful site!

      Delete
  3. Oh my gosh, the pink lake even has a rainbow! That looks straight out of My Little Pony or something, haha! Great pictures -- they're beautiful. :) And I could give you some great meat-free recipes, if you'd like, since that's pretty much all's I do. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right? Visiting that pink lake is on my bucket list for sure!

      Delete
  4. I've always wanted to do raised gardens in my back yard. I guess I have just never really had the time to put into it. I remember as a child, my grandparents had a huge garden and fruit trees. Some of my favorite memories are in the garden picking veggies and fruits while my grandparents explained which ones were ready for picking. Then we would cook with the foods we harvested. At the time, I had no idea the impression that would make on me, nor did I have any idea that most children don't get to experience things like that. I was one of those things you just take for granted. It's one of those hands one experiences that are so important for concept development. It would be fun to grow a mini "salad" garden in a classroom so that everyone could experience growing and consuming their own food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too have a lot of garden memories from my grandparents, and I never thought I could do one because theirs was so big and time consuming (it is a farm in rural Arkansas!) But I am learning that there are ways to have a smaller scale garden that is still really beneficial, just not as huge!

      Delete