Thursday, May 22, 2014

Plant Food

So what do plants eat?

If I was a child in school my answers would probably be something like--dirt, water, Miracle-Gro. Plants live in the dirt, and they need sun and water to grow, so it makes sense that I child would think that is what their food comes from.

In actuality, plants make their own food. They need several things to make their own food (including light, water, and nutrients) and it is very important to us that plants grow! Everything in the world depends on these little plants! We eat them, the animals we eat eat them, and we breathe in the oxygen they emit.

I knew this...obviously, I lean red it as a child. But that didn't stop me from answering it incorrectly on the quiz. :( I guess all those Miracle-Gro commercials got to me, because it made perfect sense to me that the plants would need those extra vitamins and nutrients to grow big and strong.

Media is one of the ways science misconceptions get spread, so knowing now, I can be more aware in the future and can better educate my kids on what is true and what's not!

1 comment:

  1. I totally bought into the Miracle-Gro misconception also! I blame my mother, she always tells me to put miracle-gro or plant food as we call it at our house on my plants when I complain that I think they might be dying.

    ReplyDelete