Monday, May 12, 2014

A Little About Me

Let me start this off by saying two things: First, I have never been one to list science in my top favorite subjects in school.  I love to read and write and naturally gravitated more towards the Language Arts when I was in school.  I hated math and a lot of the science we did involved math.  Second, I had a very different schooling experience compared to most of my current classmates.  I grew up overseas on a small island called Kwajalein in the Marshall Islands.  I loved it!  But we learned and focused on different things than most schools in America.  If we had Common Core type standards--I am unaware of it and most things were pretty low key.  We were an academically challenging school, and the curriculum was fast passed and difficult, but since everyone would be considered "gifted", nothing seemed out of the ordinary or extreme...it's just how things were!

One thing that I am extremely grateful for in all of my science education was the opportunity to take Marine Biology, and to have the ocean so intertwined into all of my science education.  We would take time out of science class to go down to the beach and find starfish, collect ocean water to look at under a microscope, analyze the makeup of sand, find samples of different species of algae, and a whole host of other things that made learning a little more relevant and entertaining.  So one thing I will focus on, besides the readings and learnings from in class, will be marine science.  I love the water; I grew up on the ocean, swam my whole life, taught swim lessons and lifeguarded, and have generally built a whole life revolving around the water in some way, form, or fashion!

Feel free to check out the link above about my little island, check out google for some cool pictures, and ask me any questions you may have!

3 comments:

  1. What a great topic, I am excited to see what you find on your content area!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, you win the prize for "Best Science Field Trip"! You've chosen a great focus.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shelley, I know your experiences growing up in the Marshall Islands will enrich your classroom and the lives of your students.

    ReplyDelete